Important Upcoming Dates
- November 5 – Benefit Band Concert at GMS beginning at 5:30 pm. Proceeds from this concert will help to pay for several of our Middle School students to participate in a European Concert Tour next summer.
- November 6 – Members of the ELA Curriculum and Assessment Committee (CAC) will meet from 8:00 am until 10:30. We will arrange for half day subs for you. 6-12 folks will meet at the Middle School.
- November 6 – Election Day, please remember to exercise your right and cast your vote!
- November 7 – Leadership Team meeting in Melanie’s room at 2:30 pm.
- November 8 – PIE Meeting at 6:30 in the Library. We will be joined by our newly elected School Committee for questions and answers. Refreshments will be provided.
- November 9 – Report Cards will go home with students.
- November 12 – No School in celebration of Veterans Day.
- November 14 – Breakout Faculty meeting beginning at 2:30, Food will be supplied by the 8th grade.
- November 16 – School Dance in the GMS Gym beginning at 6:00 pm until 8:00 pm.
We will be joined by members of the School Committee to answer questions and raise concerns about our school and district. We hope you can find the time to join us this evening. We are not sure who from the School Committee will join us, but we know that there may be two new members as a result of the election on Tuesday.
Benefit Band Concert Tonight
There will be a benefit Band Concert this evening in the GMS Auditorium with the proceeds of donations and raffle drawings going to help offset the cost for several of our students going on a concert tour of Europe during the summer of 2013. This evening should be a fun way to raise some funds for this very deserving and extremely educational event for our students. The concert begins at 5:30 tonight.
Voting Day Parking
Not that any of need to be reminded, but November 6th is the first Tuesday after the first Monday and the day we will select a whole slew of representatives to our government. What it means for Gorham Middle School is that we will be a very busy place for the day/ If you park out in the front parking lot, we ask that you park in the upper parking lot so that the lower lot can be used for voters.
This was so good, and bipartisan, I had to use it again:
There has been considerable discussion and talk about our 5th Annual Diversity Day activities. Unfortunately, it focused upon one presentation to two groups of students and not on the 16 other presentations, each done three times during the day, that focused on many of the issues our students encounter each day, both in and out of school.
There is no excuse for what happened. It happened, and it happened quickly in response to an honest student question. The results of which we are all very aware. We will be more vigilant in the future to make sure this does not happen again, but the idea of Diversity Day program is still very important to us as a Middle School.
Because of the cancellation of school on Tuesday, Oct. 30, we have rescheduled the picture re-takes for Friday, November 16. Anyone who was not satisfied with the original pictures taken at the beginning of the school year may have their picture taken again. This is also a time for any student who was absent on the original day to get their picture taken as well.
An Interesting Perspective on Those who are Different
I came across this video in preparation for our annual Diversity Day last week. After watching and listening to this young lady speak with such passion about her brothers, I felt I b=needed to share this with you all:
Student Council Annual Food Drive
All this week our Student Council will be collecting non-perishables items that we will then donate to the Gorham Ecumenical Food Pantry to help them with providing for our community during the holiday season. We are asking that your child bring in canned goods or dry goods that will be collected all week.